Here in Columbus, Indiana, we’ve been challenging ourselves to be the best community of our size for decades. We’re adding young people at one of the fastest rates in the country. And they’re not just coming from the American Midwest. They’re moving from all over the country and around the globe.
Maybe a diverse, welcoming, surprising community in the heart of Indiana is just what you’re looking for. Where you can make a difference. Make friends. Make a life.
After perusing the pages of this site, maybe your search will be over.
what is there to do in columbus, indiana?
You can get involved right away, from volunteer to leisure activities. You’ll enjoy the foodie and brewery scene, our world-renowned architecture, hiking and biking trails, Columbus Young Professionals and more.
how does columbus, indiana define “small city”?
- Shorter Commutes More Time to Get Out and Do Things Recreation & Shopping
- More Time for Friends & Family And Lots of Fun to Do Start Exploring
- Make a Big Impact, Fast Get Involved Volunteering
- The Art Scene World-Renowned Architecture Architecture & Arts
- Smaller Price Tag for Renting & Buying 40% More House for Your Money See What We Mean
- Award-Winning Healthcare Top-Notch Doctors Right in Town Learn More
- Dynamic K-12 & Undergrad/Grad Programs Student Population that Speaks 60 Languages See Your Options
- Lots of Major Employers Including 35 International Companies See Our Biggest Employers
will I feel like a part of the community?
if I listen to my heart, could I land in columbus, indiana?
We’re a community of talent with a talent for community. Watch our video to see if Columbus just might be the unexpected home you are searching for.
I have so many more questions…
We’re in the American Midwest on I-65 between Indianapolis, Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky. That puts us about 3.5 hours from Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis, too.VIEW MAP
You’ve got your 8-to-5 covered, but what about the non-work hours? Well, you can get involved right away, from volunteer to leisure activities. On the leisure side, you’ll enjoy the foodie and brewery scene, our world-renowned architecture, hiking and biking trails, our amateur cricket team and live music. If you’re looking for networking and volunteer opportunities, you might want to check out Columbus Young Professionals or CAMEO, the Columbus Multi-Ethnic Organization.See More Things to Do
We have a low cost of living for a high quality of life. The median home price in Bartholomew County is about $150,000, compared to the U.S. median price of $226,800—40% more house for your money. Our cost of living is less than the U.S. average in all areas, from groceries to utilities to health care.Learn More on the Columbus Economic Development Website
Yes! Our population of 20- and 30-year-olds with a college degree grew 62% over a 10-year period. The median age here is 35.7, with those in the 20-35 group making up a full 30% of the entire population.Learn More
With 35 international companies employing 9,000 people, there’s a very good chance your significant other will find a solid career. We also have an outstanding public education system, with opportunities for teachers, administrators and counselors. Our regional health care system is also a big local employer, with employment for all levels of caregivers, techs and professional staff. And if higher education is a goal, your significant other could pursue a graduate or undergraduate program at Indiana University Purdue University Columbus, Ivy Tech Community College or Purdue Polytechnic.Read More About Employers
The Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation provides an excellent education for our local youth, with project-based learning at all levels from kindergarten through high school graduation. Families with young children can elect to have their students participate in the Legado Spanish Immersion Academy. And with two high schools in the county, there’s a fun cross-town rivalry for the big games. There are also options for private schools in Columbus.
- Learn about BCSC
- Learn about St. Bartholomew Catholic School
- Learn about Columbus Christian School
- Learn about St. Peter’s Lutheran School
- Learn about ABC-Stewart School
- Learn about North Start Montessori
- Learn about Indiana University / Purdue University - Columbus
- Learn about Ivy Tech Community College